Monday, June 30, 2008

In praise of David Diaz, Manny Pacquiao's latest knockout victim

Here is the transcript of David Diaz interview after he was floored by Manny Pacquiao. Truly a world class boxer and sportsman, worthy of praise.

Jim Lampley:
... a moment of great sportmanship here. David there was a moment between rounds that you said to your trainor Jim Strickland: "I can handle his punches, he's just too fast." Was that basically the story of the fight?

David Diaz: Yeah, he was too fast. The fucker was too fast.

Jim Lampley: Did you have any idea coming here that he would be that way?

David Diaz: No, I actually saw him on tape and I was like "Yeah, I could deal with that speed," you know. The power was the one I was worried about. But he was too fucking too fast man. Fast, fast, fast.

Jim Lampley: Amazingly fast.

David Diaz: Fast. I though Freddie was in there hitting me too.

Jim Lampley: Hahaha...

David Diaz: Well, you go to the fight, you go in and you risk it. Well, with a guy like this Manny, shit, at least I can say that I fought a good fighter man. And that's all I want. I want to fight. That's it.

Jim Lampley: You got cut in the nose, I think, in the first round. By the 2nd or 3rd round, a cut above your eye appeared. Obviously, Jimmy was trying to do everything to stop, but the blood kept coming. How much did that bother you during the fight?

David Diaz: No, it didn't bother me at all. I thought, he has a knife with him though. I thought he was cutting me a blade. 'Cause he was fast, he was faster than what I expected. I could deal with the power, but it was the speed was more than I thought it was. And I got tricked by his speed.

Jim Lampley: All right, Floyd Mayweather has retired, the argument is who's the best pound for pound fighter in the world now? Is it Pacquiao, is it Joe Calzaghe, is it maybe rising superstar Miguel Cotto. After what you saw tonight, is there really an argument?

David Diaz: Well, yeah, I'm not going to say he's not, he just beat me man. He's good, he's fucking good, my hats go off to him, we went in there, I fought and I gave it my all, and his speed is just a fucking, that thing that sealed it for me. His speed is too uncontrollable. My hats off to him, he's a good fighter and you know, what else can I say? We lost today, tommorow we'll win.

No comments: