Friday, August 03, 2007

Worst Case of Unfriendly Customer Service

Last week I was singing hosanna to Shangri-la Mactan’s superb customer service. http://jonjigonzales.blogspot.com/2007/07/guy-named-joe-marie.html

This week I experienced one of the worst cases of customer service by a computer store in Cebu.

I bought a second hand computer last June 27 from Fast Win Computer Enterprises located in Mandaue City, Cebu.

When I brought it home, the computer would hang no end. So I had to return it for them to check what’s wrong. A few days later they informed me it was due to a defective motherboard.

They replaced the motherboard and then I had the PC picked up from there store. Another problem cropped up. This time they replaced the sound card.

Just when I thought the computer was fully okay, it cannot connect to the wi-fi. I had to bring it back to there store for yet another check up. They advised me to change my wi-fi card saying that it’s defective and it is the cause of all the glitch.

Since I had an extra wi-fi card I had it replaced. I was hoping they would test the replaced part before they give back my PC so that I don’t have to bring it back to them if it doesn’t work. Unfortunately, they said there wi-fi connection in there store is fully utilized that they cannot get a signal so that I had to do the testing in my house.

These entire problems happened in the course of one month. Meaning, the computer was not being used for a month after it was bought.

Exasperated, I called up a computer technician friend who is also in charge of maintaining our office computer network for help.

My friend hesitated to open the CPU since doing so will void the warranty. He advised me to call Fast Win and request the store to allow him to open the CPU and check the problem without voiding the warranty. He even told me to point out to Fast Win that since I bought the computer a month ago it has not been used because of the several glitches. Despite there effort to repair the problems they have not succeeded.

So I called the store and related to them the problem. Since the person who answered my call could not decide on my request, she asked me my contact number so that her manager can discuss it with me. A week has pass, I have not received any call.

Finally, I gave up waiting for that call from Fast Win. I decided to risk voiding the warranty so that my computer technician friend can start fixing it. At last the computer is up and running. All it took was for me to buy a brand new sound card. Adjustment in the bios and CPU settings were also implemented.

If not for my computer technician friend, I would have continued to bring back and forth the CPU to Fast Win for repairs and who knows it could take eternity before it gets fixed.

Customer service is the new ball game in business. Sadly, Fast Win Computer Enterprise, while selling high tech products is still low tech when it comes to customer service.

No comments: